Friday, September 19, 2008

Peach Tree


When we moved into our house last year we were excited to have a Peach tree with fruit on it. We love peaches and to have a very nice tree is great. Last year I did some pruning on the tree and as the peaches finish ripening this year, the results are undeniable.

The branches of the tree are overwhelmed. There is so much fruit that the branches are a bit stressed. I've been able to go and throw out the rotten fruit early. I've been able to toss the half bird-eaten fruit, and I am looking forward to a lot of peaches.

We recently started a class for people where we take a big look at John 15. John 15 is the passage where Jesus tells us he is the vine and we are the branches. We read that if we remain in him we will bear much fruit, after all it would be absurd to think of a detached branch being able to produce fruit. On the challenging side of the discussion is the talk of pruning and destruction that the caretaker of the vine goes through to keep the vine healthy.

God is our pruner, and while I am convinced that the tree doesn't have any feeling when I cut off a branch, I feel differently about those things God prunes in my life. It hurts to have an unhealthy part of yourself cut off, but my health requires it. There is simply no way to be pruned delicately...so God prune me, break me, heal me, make me fruitful.

What is it about the fruit that is so awesome...I know my peach tree produces incredible white peaches. I know that a grape vine produces grapes. So does that mean that a Jesus vine produces little "Jesuses." We read in Acts that at Antioch, believers were first considered Christians, or little Christs. Apparently the description fits. So we are left to think about the fruit hanging on the vine. What's there? Is the fruit plentiful or is it sparse? What pruning needs to take place in your life?

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Doing my best to live like a little Jesus!

Dana