Monday, September 29, 2008

Climbing Higher

What a beautiful hike we had in the mountains last week. The splendor of the fall colors never cease to amaze me. Rachelle, the girls, and I decided to hike up a trail I hadn't been up in almost 20 years. I felt like I hadn't exercised in almost 20 with the challenge of moving up the side of a mountain.

I think the greatest part of a nice hike is the change in perspective. We all need it from time to time. I don't know where I would be if it were not for the mountain top experiences that helped shape and re-shape my perspective over time. Obstacles just don't seem so imposing when you rise above them.

One of the great tragedies of getting older is that we miss out on too many mountain experiences. We lose out on opportunities to give our faith a fresh perspective. We need to get to the mountain every now and then. Its an important climb. Every climb takes us higher than our challenges and obstacles into the very center of the power of God.

Psalm 104:31-32 (NASB)
31 Let the glory of the LORD endure forever; Let the LORD be glad in His works; 32 He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they smoke.
The decent will likely be a quick one back to the valley and the challenges, but to be able to face them with a power from God...not much could be better. Get out and find a mountain and experience the presence of God.
Have a great week.

No comments: