Friday, October 2, 2009

Am I Healthy?

Am I healthy? I would assume the answer to be yes. I have shed a couple of pounds and I have been jogging since the summer months. I feel pretty good, so I would assume health. Today, measures will be taken to see if I am right. I have been fasting the last 12 hours in preparation for blood work and tests needed for my physical which I have next week.

These tests are important because they look for things going on that can be undetected on the surface and not necessarily influencing how I feel. One other step occurred not long ago when they did a screening of my carotid artery. Fortunately, it was in an improved state over the year before. I am grateful for the resources available that allow us to manage our health and attempt to treat problems before they arise.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:23-24 (KJV)


What a prayer asking God to do some internal tests to find out just what is going on on the inside. We all like to have the appearance of health. We may throw out a few insights every now and then; we might have the appearance of perfect health, but what is going on on the inside. Is there disease? Is there addiction? Is there something that, if it goes untreated could become terminal?

Whenever I have a deep moment with God, I become very aware of the need for the Search Me Test. There are parts of me I think I can go on without addressing, but God points it out and says to me "this is dangerous; let's deal with it together." How gracious He is to begin a treatment plan with me.

So I am heading out the door, my blood work won't point to any matters that are down in the depths of my spiritual heart, but my prayer remains, "Search me O God..."

Are you willing to make that your prayer today?

No comments: